Tuesday 8 May 2012

On being tormented by folk tunes.


In the last few days I’ve been suffering from inadvertent-blurting-out-folk-song syndrome. They are just so stuck in my head I’m wondering if they’ll ever leave me. It was when I realised I’d been singing along with the beat of the car indicator that I realised it had got serious. 

This is largely due to the fact that in the last few days I’ve spent most of my days with the folk tunes that sword dancers dance to. In the opera there are three one minute sword dance sections (you can find more about sword dancing here, and see some here). 
I love this kind of work...I wanted to create interesting and quirky arrangements of the melodies, whilst still having them retain their character. I’ve managed to do sorts of things - layer three folk tunes on top of each other, one of which works at a canon of a crochet etc, and then, amazingly, the main folk tune that I’m using fits really well over a chorus that I wrote months ago (before I’d listened to the folk tune). I guess my interpretation of ‘fitting’ is slightly more relaxed than a lot of peoples, but I’m generally quite thrilled.
I think today I shall orchestrate this section...

No comments:

Post a Comment